Imogen's Typewriter.

To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee Amazing. Amazing! To Kill A Mockingbird is the story of a girl named Scout growing up in Southern America in the thirties during the depression and deals with racial inequality and rape and the roles of women and men all while being a really lovely read. I saw the play of this tale in Manchester a couple of years ago and loved in, and the book really stood up to that. It took me a while to read- a little under three weeks- because of how rich the plot and writing was and I found myself, for the first time, wanting to draw out the read but oh I adored it. The characterisation was dead on, the development of the characters and the overlying story of Boo Radley was just so heartwarming.
It's one of the best books I read in 2014 and definitely the best classic, I feel like it really taught me a lot. I'd urge everyone to pick up this book and I really feel like re-reading it soon. It makes me sad that so many have been put off by reading this in school- I know school put me off a lot of books that maybe I need to give a second chance..

Review originally posted on Imogen’s Typewriter.