Imogen's Typewriter.

Outshine

Outshine - Nola Decker When I was emailed about reviewing Outshine by Nola Decker* as part of the blog tour I was immediately excited, this is a YA Science Fiction novel which is a nice break from the usual dystopian and it just sounded great;

When agoraphobic Gabe and his outgoing nemesis Jessa go on a moonlit road trip to locate Gabe's missing brother, the two teens discover they are both hiding unnatural abilities: Gabe is a living lie detector and Jessa is a kick-ass powerhouse pretending to be a delicate diva.
Gabe's sole reason for searching for Watts, his overbearing younger brother, is to clear his own name: he's been framed for Watts' alleged murder. Jessa is after Watts because she is, well, after him.
They find him with Deacon, the twisted eugenicist responsible for their unusual powers. He encourages them to stay and join his "Family" where they'll be able to live openly as the genetically-modified freaks that they are. When Jessa and Gabe uncover the truth about Deacon's past--and what he wants for the future--they band together to stop him. Watts, however, might have other plans...

This book starts fast, switching between Gabe and Jessa quickly as you're punched straight into the story and the lives of the characters. Neither characters were relatable to me personally but surprisingly I liked them both, they weren't maybe the best people but they had taken two very different- and understandable- paths to dealing with similar problems. With the science-fiction aspect, especially Gabe's 'power' I realised that this book is everything I wanted Drawn by Cecilia Gray (currently hanging out on my paused shelf with Insurgent and Shatter Me) to be and more.

It was a quick read, and got me in a real reading mood! I feel I devoured this book with it's interesting plot, fast pace and action packed prose. There wasn't a single boring moment and even the romance aspect of it was well thought out. Yes, there was a bit of a love triangle but it went beyond the usual teenage girl indecision and into the science fiction aspect. I loved it anyway and for once I wasn't scolding the character on the right choice, but sympathising on the situation she was in. All in all I really enjoyed this book, I wasn't quite as hooked as I've been with other books but it was seriously good, especially for self-published. I need the sequel now!